Re: 2.1.132-2: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?

Thomas Molina (tmolina@probe.net)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:43:16 -0600 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Stefan Laudat wrote:
> > ne2k-pci.c:v0.99L 2/7/98 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker
> > http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html
> > ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'Compex RL2000' at I/O 0xef00, IRQ 3.
> > eth0: PCI NE2000 found at 0xef00, IRQ 3, 00:80:48:C4:E2:F1.
>
> Jesus Christ, IRQ3 is kinda reserved for the second onboard serial
> port :) Make sure it is disabled in your BIOS. Are your PCI IRQs activated
> by level or edge? On the most PCs (including mine) PCI IRQs are assigned
> from 10 up :)

Interesting comment. My system didn't seem to act that way. When I
first installed the DLink DE528 (PCI NE2000) it grabbed IRQ 5. When I
went into the BIOS to change IRQ 5 to Legacy ISA, it then claimed IRQ 9.
When I assigned IRQ 9 to Legacy ISA it then claimed not to be able to
get an IRQ even though IRQ 11 was available. In my case, the first
non-occupied IRQ 9 or below available to PCI/PnP was the one claimed.
It's now sitting happily sitting on IRQ 9, though that makes me uneasy
for some reason.