Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts

Mirian Crzig Lennox (mirian@xensei.com)
17 Dec 1998 19:27:59 -0500

Neil Conway <nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk> writes:
> George Bonser wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Neil Conway wrote:
> >
> > > Em, that's a bit lame. "rm -f filename" won't remove a directory, and
> > > if you type "rm -rf <xxx>" then you deserve all you get.

> > rm 'find . | grep core' would not remove the directory but would remove
> > anything in it.
>
> Quite true (assuming you meant back-quotes ;-)). I've never considered
> doing it that way... Too damn dangerous. Surely it's not too much grief
> to do "find . -type f -name core" instead? The way you are doing it,
> even files called (e.g.) "netcore.c" would be vaped.

Agreed... also, embarrassing as it is to admit in this day and age of
gigabyte-RAM computers, commands such as "rm 'find . | grep core'"
will tend to fail on large source trees due to "arg limit exceeded".

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.