Re: Perl kills NE2000: needs power-cycle or Microsoft to fix!?

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:20:52 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there.

>> I wrote about a weird situation where my ethernet died while
>> updating perl modules:

>>> Any suggestions on what I should do? The following possibilities
>>> come to mind:

>>> 1. Get the latest NE2000 driver and see if that helps.

>>> 2. Upgrade to 2.0.36 and see if that helps.

>> I upgraded to 2.0.36. I've since seen my ethernet drop dead at
>> least once, and possibly twice (I was at work, and the machine in
>> question is at home, and became unreachable today, but was back
>> when I checked an hour later. I can rule out ISP problems 'cause I
>> could reach other customers of my ISP who are using the same DSL
>> equipment as I at the ISP's end).

> I've seen this problem too with my NE2000 clone. I'm also running
> 2.0.36, and I also chalked it up to a bad card. Except, I replaced
> to old NE2000 clone with a new NE2000 clone. Same problem.
> Sometimes the ethernet connection just dies for no reason. Now,
> occasionally it will come back to life in a few seconds, but most
> of the time I need to completely reboot the system (a complete
> power down). I'm not a kernel hacker, so I have no idea what is
> causing the problem, but I thought I should let those who do hack
> know there is a problem on at least two computers here. :)

That has me wondering whether my problems are related...

In my case, my network card is an NE2000 clone as well, being an old
ISA-bus one at one end (set for 0x360 IRQ9) and a modern PCI-bus one
at the other (0xDF80 IRQ12). Here's the message I sent to Alan Cox a
week or so ago asking about it...

Best wishes from Riley.