Re: mv command wierdness. (error in VFS?)

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:23:23 +0300 (MSK)

17-Dec-98 16:09 you wrote:
> Just recently I have noticed a quite interresting thing:

> I have just moved an backup version of a file in an compilation tree
> over the orignal:

> mv backup.c~ backup.c

> That's nothing special of course. However the interresting thing
> was that make didn't notice this at all. In esp. it didnt notice this
> as a change to backup.c and didn't therefore any recompilation work.
> I would suspect that in this case the modification time of the
> inode corresponding to backup.c~ didn't get updated.

Why ? backup.c~ (or now backup.c) is not changed -- why modification time
should be changed ??? At least I'm always was sure that this is exactly correct
behaviour (I'm depend on it a lot :-) but unfortunatelly I'm not know what
POSIX say on subject...

> Is this correct behaviour?

I hope.