Re: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:35:43 +0100

On 17 Dec 98, at 11:06, Philip Blundell wrote:

> Hi Ulrich,
>
> >/usr/src/linux/net/core is ignored by CVS standards. Shipping a
>
> Just use -I when importing the tree. This is a shortcoming in CVS, not the
> kernel.

Isn't it "-I !"?

And I think that even Oracle renamed their directory to "ocore"
(Oracle core) to avoid beeing erased by eager core removers...

Can you tell me if/how I can add the missing part to my repository? I
only know how to mess up CVS repositories...

> >I also noticed that CVS does not like it if you build in a
> >checked-out tree: After that I couldn't "cvs diff" nor "cvs commit",
> >because some files were missing beyond include/config in the CVS
> >subdirectories. Maybe the Makefiles or Rules can be fixed to avoid
> >that problem.
>
> Again I think you can avoid this by careful control of what you do and don't
> import. It's probably best for CVS not to know anything about the config or
> modules directories. This is pain that you only have to endure once; as long
> as your initial import is OK, subsequent patching won't break anything.

I imported a "clean, virgin" tree, did a "cvs co" and began to work
there. At the beginning everything worked, but suddenly it stopped
working. Maybe some "make clean" is guilty. Probably my "tar vendor"
sent a tree that was no "virgin" an longer (Beta#3 from SuSE 6.0, I
prefer kernel sources on CDs over downloading myself).

[...]

Ulrich