Re: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:12:12 +0000

In article <199812162237.RAA19576@tequila.cs.yale.edu>,
Stefan Monnier <monnier+misc/news@tequila.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
>pjb1008@cam.ac.uk (Peter Benie) wrote:
>> I don't actually see the point of implementing a read-only loopback
>> mount. There are already protection mechanisms in the kernel to
>> prevent one user from writing to another user's files. If you need to
>> run a program so that it cannot write to any files, just run the
>> program under a different uid.
>
>Following the same reasoning: why allow things like `chmod u-w' since
>the user can change it back anyway !

Huh? I can't see how that follows, and I don't understand the point
that you're trying to make.

What I'm saying is that there are standard ways under Unix to stop
programs from writing to your files; you don't need a read-only
loopback mount to get this behaviour.

>And if you have the root password to a machine,

Who said anything about having the root password?

>why would you bother to log in as some other user ?

To use the kernel's existing protection mechanisms that protect
non-zero uids from each other.

Peter