Re: Dead Machine & 2.1.131

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 13:16:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> XF86_SVGA assumes your graphics chipset is in VGA text mode. If this isn't the
> case (you're using frame buffer devices), unexpected results may happen. I
> don't think fbcon can be blamed for that... Banging the hardware from user
> space can be riskful.

Huh? Now come matroxfb works just fine? It's not VGA text mode as we know
it.

> > I think it's time I talked. I have been using XFree86 3.3.3 *and*
> > fbcon/vesafb/matroxfb for a week now. No problems.
>
> Alex: as the fbdev HOWTO maintainer, you should know better :-)

Teach me more, O Mighty Guru. :)

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.131 #66 SMP Sat Dec 5 19:22:40 EST 1998 Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM System library 2.0.105