Re: Internationalizing Linux

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 18:57:52 +0300 (MSK)

5-Dec-98 18:12 you wrote:
>>>>>> "Jens" == jens <jens@pinguin.conetix.de> writes:

Jens>> On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 09:53:08AM +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>>> I really can't see the point here, all the commands on the system
>>> are in english anyway, C is using English. If you don't understand
>>> the basic English terms used by a computer, how can you adminitrate
>>> them.

Jens>> Simple. Get an OS that gives you the messages in the language
Jens>> you know best and understand best. I know of quite a couple
Jens>> friends whose only reasons for not trying out something other
Jens>> than Windows is that in Windows, everything is in their native
Jens>> tongue (German, in my example). They are too lazy to learn
Jens>> English just to use another OS. And they ARE in fact missing
Jens>> something.

> Tough luck for them. What are they doing when NT gives a BSOD or has
> that been translated as well?

BSOD's are translated as well (at least in Russian Windows95/Windows98 -- not
know about NT).

> What do these people do when programming, do they run a special version of
> C where all the keywords have been translated into another language?

No. They look on keyword as some "Egyptian hieroglyph". There are only few
dozens keywords in C ! I was able to write big working programs on C LONG BEFORE
I learn english and I know A LOT OF peoples who are working with C, Pascal and
Assembler and not understood English at all... Since a lot of programmer tools
are not localized they are usually aware about common computer-related english
words but all .hlp files are deleted (or not installed) from their systems since
they are not usable anyway :-) And 90% (if not 99%) so-called "End-Users" (who
use only MS IE and MS Office under Windows98) are not aware about even common
english words... This is life as it is.