Re: X freezes up with 2.1.131

Nathan Myers (ncm@nospam.cantrip.org)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:00:30 -0800 (PST)

dheltzel@ikon.com wrote:

> I am having a problem with X occasionally freezing up the entire system
> (no keys work, not even the 3 finger salute) when running 2.1.131 (no
> problem with 2.1.127 though). I'd like to use this as an opportunity to
> help debug the kernel, but I don't know where to start. How can I obtain
> useful information about the lockup, and where do I send it ?

That happened to me, too, today. I backed off to the 2.1.130 kernel,
which has been OK so far. What I can add to the discussion is:

1. It had been up for less than two days. (Imagine a 2.1.131 kernel
running much longer than that... :-)
2. It logged a non-fatal Oops during the "cron" cleanup run this
morning, leaving the various cron job processes frozen, but no
obvious evidence at the X desktop. Log report was just
kernel: Oops: 0000
kernel: CPU: 0
3. After X froze I was still able to log in over a PLIP network
connection.
4. "kill -9" had no effect on the X server, though other processes
(including the frozen cron job) died nicely.
5. File systems are on an Adaptec SCSI 2940 (no U, no W). Mouse is
a Logitech busmouse. CPU is a NexGen PF110 -- effectively a 386.
Kernel is built UP, not SMP. Utilities are Debian Slink.
6. Floppy detection during boot reported:
kernel: DOR0=4
kernel: floppy interrupt on bizarre fdc 1
kernel: handler=00000000
unlike 2.1.130. (But I haven't used the floppy drive in months.)
7. The immediate stimulus for the freeze was popping up a Mozilla
window.
8. Kernel was built with Egcs-1.1.1 gcc.

--
Nathan Myers
ncm@nospam.cantrip.org  http://www.cantrip.org/