Re: UDMA is NFG on Ultra33 (CMD646 in disguise)

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 00:38:12 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Mark Lord wrote:

> I dunno what to make of it, other than
> "UDMA is broken on the Promise Ultra33" card.

Something interesting you might want to hear about this card, also.

We've had nothing but problems with it.

The first machine we tried to use it in wouldn't boot with the card
plugged in, so we tried a different machine.

This machine actually worked, but it randomly kept freezing, so recently
we just got a newer P2 machine.

This new machine seemed to boot up and work with the IDE stuff perfectly,
but strangely, the EEPRO100 card that was in the machine was consistantly
responding to ICMP ECHOs with what looked like (in tcpdump) a random pile
of garbage. tcpdump just showed that the host was (from a mac address of,
say, "12:31:56:ab:b0:31", which was nothing close to the card's address),
sending out a bunch of weird data, sometimes with patterns of incrementing
numbers. A tcpdump on the host showed it was receiving the packets
perfectly and trying to reply to them, but on the other end of the wire
garbage was coming out. Removing the ultra/33 card made the eepro work
perfectly again, even though in a different machine the two had previously
worked together. Weeeeird.

I really am beginning to dislike this card. :)

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |