Re: /proc and /kern

Glynn Clements (glynn@sensei.co.uk)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:36:30 +0000 (GMT)

david parsons wrote:

> > Another thought I had is to make the pseudo files in /proc and /kern
> > display real size information instead of 0, as they do under BSD,
>
> That would be really nice, if you could have come guarantee that
> the size wouldn't change between stat time and access time.

Two questions:

1. Why? Given that you don't have this guarantee for regular files,
nothing is going to care whether the result of stat() matches the
amount of data that can actually be read from the file (or at least
nothing written by anyone with the slightest clue about Unix).

2. Clearly such a guarantee would be impossible to provide, unless
you're going to somehow freeze the contents of these files as soon a
some process performs a stat() on them.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>