Re: Re: IDE freeze for seconds

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:47:58 +0100

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 10:05:12PM +0100, Johnny Teveßen wrote:
> Quoting Pavel Machek (pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz):
>
> > Get bdflush-1.6 from sunsite, there's way to postpone writes until
> > disk is spinned up again. I believe this is what you want.
>
> That's interesting. I was told that there's no way to find out whether
> an IDE drive is spinning or not. At least not without spinning it up.

There is, unless it is in sleep mode. Check hdparm which can report the
driver power state: operation, idle, standby, sleep. The latter two with
stopped disks, the former two with spinning disks. To recover from sleep
mode, you will need a soft- or hardware reset.

--
Matthias Andree
                                   --- How to obtain PGP public key