Re: NO ROM BASIC

Jim Woodward (jim@jim.southcom.com.au)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:55:08 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:

> Did you enable the SMP option?
>
> > make config
> > make dep
> > make bzImage
> > make install
> >
> > Then I rebooted. When it starts, it goes to 40 column mode and
> > says "NO ROM BASIC"
>
> Pardon me, but it sounds like you just booted an Atari 400 (or maybe a
> VIC 20, or possibly a Commodore PET ;-).
>
> Seriously, this almost sounds like a virus has infected your boot block.
> Can you boot off of floppy? Are you using LILO? Do you have more than
> one OS on your system?

I once saw this on my old 386 based linux system.. when the boot record
became corrupt.. it wasnt a virus, for some reason the BIOS just wouldnt
let the hdd boot, also could be related to incorrect drive geometry inthe
BIOS (heads, cylinders, sectors etc)

havent seen the error for a while but its probably part of the newer
BIOS's too (probably some legacy code) :)

Regards, Jim.

__ name: james woodward (jim)
/ . _ _ email: jim@jim.southcom.com.au, jim@woodward.southcom.com.au
(_/ / / \/ ) www: http://jim.southcom.com.au, http://www.mailbag.ml.org