Re: suspendd-v0.1.0 released

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 23:00:18 +1100

Pavel Machek writes:
> Hi!

> > > Ouch, should not this functionality be merged into apmd?
> >
> > I've had a look at the beta version of apmd, and I still don't like
> > it, because:
> >
> > - only supports one command to run at suspend time
>
> Which should not matter that much if that command is sh -c 'a; b' ;-)
>
> > - doesn't distinguish between user and system suspends
>
> So fix it.

I did. It's called suspendd.

> > - doesn't provide a way to disable policy (the
> > sync();sleep(0);sync();sleep(1); sequence)
>
> Fix it.

Also done. See suspendd.

> > - does not document extra features.
>
> I'm sure this is not problem for you. Anyway, you can always fix it ;-)

Done in suspendd.

> > And I'm not sure that what we want is a single super daemon. A
> > collection of smaller daemons might be better, since it allows people
> > to pick and choose. A super daemon is bloat for those who only want
> > one small feature.
>
> That daemon is
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 38015 Sep 8 19:37 /usr/src/apmd.my/apmd*
>
> 38K big. Unless you have even more crappy hardware than I
> (386dx40/8Meg), you can probably live pretty well with this
> 'bloat'. And when someone modifies /proc/apm layout, you'll go out and
> modify 5 different daemons. I believe this is not the way to go.

%ll /usr/sbin/suspendd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6804 Dec 1 22:25 /usr/sbin/suspendd*

6K. Even better.

People shouldn't change the /dev/apm_bios interface. This moving
target of interfaces is one of the problems with Linux.

> PS: You probably do not want 5 different bad apm daemons, one good
> apm daemon is much better. BTW what you reported are bugs, and I'm
> pretty sure their fixes can be easily rolled into official
> tree. Believe me, it is easier than maintaining your own little
> daemon.

Cough. I wrote suspendd because the version of apmd on sunsite (2.4)
didn't have the features I wanted, and was so old (1996) that I
suspected it was orphaned. A few hours later I had what I wanted.
Pardon me for not knowing about the beta version.

Anyway, let's drop this thread. I had an itch, I scratched it and put
the result out for the world to use or ignore.

Regards,

Richard....