Re: Problem with 1G RAM

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:43:33 +0100 (CET)

> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > It should work fine as long as you have carefully studied the kernel header
> > asm-i386/page.h and made the modifications to it and arch/i386/vmlinux.lds
> > accordingly.
> >
> > By default the kernel will not work with that much memory.
>
> Will the kernel work with that much memory on the alpha platform or sparc64?

Yes, those are 64bit platforms. At least I hope it works well on sparc64,
nobody confirmed it yet (somebody tried it with 2.5GB RAM though).
sparc64 should support up to 1TB physical RAM, but most of the boxes won't
allow you to put that much memory in, AFAIK it is something around 64GB or
so at most one can put in at the moment.

In fact, even sparc32, although PAGE_OFFSET is there 0xf0000000, should support up
to 2GB memory...

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University