Re: NO ROM BASIC

Elliot Lee (sopwith@redhat.com)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:59:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Konstantyn Prokopenko wrote:

> I'm new in Linux and I've got a problem compiling a kernel.
> I have dual PENTIUM II motherboard with 128 Mb memory runing Red Hat
> Linux. I compiled the 2.1.128 Linux kernel using:
>
> make config
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make install
>

> Then I rebooted. When it starts, it goes to 40 column mode and
> says "NO ROM BASIC"

Dear sir, your computer is missing the ROM BASIC. I do not know why the
manufacturer would leave out such an important and basic feature. I would
immediately demand a new computer from the company that has this feature.

<obkernel> More seriously, installing using 'make install' or 'make zlilo'
or whatever is sometimes haphazard. For best results, copy the kernel
image into /boot, 'make modules_install', add an entry in /etc/lilo.conf
for the new kernel image, rerun /sbin/lilo, and reboot.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, or maybe I don't like programs editing lilo.conf
for me, or maybe I've been bitten too many times :)
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
- Steven Spielberg