[SAVAGELY OFFTOPIC] Re: IDE freeze for seconds

Romano Giannetti (romano@dea.icai.upco.es)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:29:26 +0100

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 12:54:39AM -0500, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> # What is the first thing that ceases when you spin down a planet? That's
> # right, gravity. Everything not tied down would just fly out into space,
> # and that includes the atmosphere. Simple.
>
> Uh what? Gravity ain't based upon the rotation on the planet, its a
> constant based on mass.
>
> What would happen is that we would all be crushed against the planet's
> surface as the balancing forces of gravity and centrifical would no longer
> be in accord.

You two forgot _a lot_ of smiles :)))).

Centrifical acceleration at 0 latitude (maximum) on Earth is about
34e-3 m/s^2. This is about 0.34% of g, so that if your mass is 100kg
there will be a 300gr difference (Hey, this is a lot! High jumping
records could be outperformed in Kenya! :)

And note that no one is chrushed on the poles... long life to
penguins!! (just to be a little less offtopic).

Romano

Sorry, could not resist. Without jokes: if you spin down Earth
*gracefully* (as it is the case, the Moon is spinning us down
gracefully just in this moment) the only thing that happens is: longer
days, and higher temperature difference between diary minimum and
maximum).

--
Romano Giannetti, Professor  -  Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2410  fax +34 915 596 569