Re: kernel knowledge of localtime (user-level implememntation)

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 19:28:14 -0500

a sun wrote:

>     > so, where do people think a timezone updater should be stuck? do
>     > people not like using the update daemon?
>
>    My machine has an rdate call in /etc/crontab to synchronise its time
>    to an atomic clock, and that call is set to run every three hours...
>
> well, some random program you stick in crontab probably won't do. for
> example, i use ntpd to keep all my clocks up-to-date. should we stick
> it in there as well?
>
> this issue has less to do with making sure your actual time is
> accurate than making sure the kernel is in sync with the
> timezone. sticking things in crontab only works if the
> smbfs/fat/ncpfs/hfs users all put it in there (and it gets run pretty
> often due to the chance that the timezone may be switched at any
> time). the reason i'm fond of sticking a timezone updater in an
> already always running daemon is because it's transparent to everybody
> and it adds virtually no overhead.
>
> anyways, i thought of the DST issue a little more and looked at how
> the mac does it for hfs volumes. as i suspected, if you create a file
> while DST is in effect and switch out of it, you end up with the file
> created an hour in the future. how exciting.
>
> the moral? local time is lame. attempting to pretend that it's really
>            utc in disguise (by assuming that local time == knowledge
>            of timezone) is doomed from the start.
>
> -a
> asun@u.washington.edu
>
> -

I don't understand this.  Why not just use UTC everywhere?  If worried about
backwards time, can use slow time changes, or perhaps is there any clock on
motherboard that just keeps ticking?  Who cares about local time anyway?