Re: unkown PCI device

Torsten Landschoff (t.landschoff@gmx.net)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 00:32:48 +0100

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 12:53:48PM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Martin,=20

> > You are right. But I like this /proc/pci-Interface because I can boot f=
rom a
> > floppy disk without any driver to get a list of installed PCI-devices. =
That's
> > way cool :)
>=20
> You can just cat /proc/bus/pci/devices to get a list of IDs of your
> PCI devices.

Yes, but I am unable to decode the information displayed there.

> > Why are the /proc/bus/pci-entries binary? Probably because of efficienc=
y but
> > I really like to read values from /proc with cat...
>=20
> You can `od' the files and do the same.

I could even use a debugger to set kernel variables at runtime. But I do not
like to do that.

Of course you are right - there should not be such a beast of data in the
kernel. But I really liked /proc/pci .-)

cu
Torsten

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp--