Re: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 18:14:08 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Christof Damian wrote:

> Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> >
> > > Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
> >
> > I had a similar sized monster (Convex C1) in my dining room for a year or
>
> does anybody know how to get one of these monsters ? i got a pretty big
> space and free electricity. i am not a kernel hacker, but would like it
> anyway. i also would be able to put it on my leased line once it is
> running.

Generally you will need 3-phase power and quite a bit of cooling as well.
Most of these things have environmental sensors and will halt if the
temperature gets above a certain point. A lot of these are scrapped
because their users realize they can pay for a new machine with the money
they save on electricity so whoever's giving you "free" electricity might
take notice.

My machine was a donation from the local chapter of ACM, which was in turn
originally a donation from a local university.