Re: More data on ide-cd "playing music" death

Romano Giannetti (romano@dea.icai.upco.es)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:35:07 +0100

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 10:51:23PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> "Andre M. Hedrick" wrote:
> > I can/have reproduce the report and was about to bug you also.
> > A little more datails........there are only problems if the drive tries to
> > run in UDMA mode period........this may also react the same way if DMA is
> > enabled regardless of mode...........
>
> Alright, I hadn't noticed this.

Sorry... but I run with hdc=noautotune and then I do a hdparm -u1 -d0
/dev/hdc in boot scripts. Look:

/dev/hdc:
HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Invalid argument
readonly = 1 (on)
readahead = 8 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

BAD NEWS, Jens: with debug=0 I can trigger the bug... well, I think. I
was listening music and the PC freezed completely. Nothing in the log.
Black screen (under X), no console switching, not Alt SysRq s. Only
Alt SysRq b did work and reboot the system.
It seems that the reset hosed up completely the I/O.

Ah. A thing I noticed yesterday. It seems that, when I triggered the
bug (plain 2.1.130), the programs locked in the D state were in
down_failed or something like this. I guess that the problem is that
when we loose an interrupt, we should notify it and try to continue;
but with the original code after that every time we see another
interrupt we report a lost one. Is it possible (wild guess) that
simply we forgot to increment/decrement/unlock something?

Available for more test,
Romano

--
Romano Giannetti, Professor  -  Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2410  fax +34 915 596 569