Re: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs

Erik Walthinsen (omega@cse.ogi.edu)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:45:46 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl>
> That, of course, will change when someone donates one of
> those old 8-CPU [34]86 SMP machines from Compaq or Sequent
> to one of the scheduler hackers :)) <hint, hint>
> It's happened already... ahem... what did I say... silly me

Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
procs, maybe 256MB RAM, couple SCSI channels and disks) to Alan Cox a
while ago (6mo?) but he was unable to find anywhere to put it (7ft x 3ft x
4ft, needs 3-phase, heats your house, etc.) at the time. Perhaps if
someone has space in a data center to put it, and it still exists, someone
could get it online (after shipping it from France or somesuch) and let
people port to it.

A good starting place would be Mach, which was ported to that exact
machine a while ago by a professor I work with. I think all the hardware
needed for this large machine is supported by the Mach port, which is
still available somewhere...

Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/