Re: High UID support for Linux

Torsten Landschoff (t.landschoff@gmx.net)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:32:30 +0100

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 02:31:36PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Torsten.
>
> >> When you have no sources ? GREAT idea !
>=20
> > Where is the problem? Are there no Un*x-Tools to patch binary
> > files? We just have to search for a getpwent-call...
>=20
> OK, you do it - I'll send you the binary of a program there's no
> source to, you tell me the offsets to every getpwent call therein,
> making sure they are genuine pwent calls and not just data bytes that
> happen to look the same...

Sorry. I guess I forgot the smiley. But: It certainly possible. I know it i=
s a
lot of work...

I patched some programs to run on my 68000er Atari which were compiled for
68030 - that was anything but fun...

> Incidentally, remember that not all programs will load registers in
> the same order, and that the arguments pushed on the stack are not
> necessarily done consecutively...
>=20
> You game?

To increase my understanding: I thought the jumps to library calls have to =
be
flagged with the function name in some way because the dynamic linker has to
resolve the calls. Am I wrong here?

cu
Torsten

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj