Re: [2.1.130] High load average appearing from the shadows.

Robert Thoerncrantz (rtz@pirx.df.lth.se)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:46:09 +0100

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 08:52:59AM -0500, Noah Beck wrote:
> I've been getting something similar when running StarOffice 5 along
> with any other CPU-hogging process--the load when just running SO5
> is 0 or thereabouts, but if I start a background process, the load
> jumps to 2 (rather than 1). The assorted SO5 threads show up last
> in the "top" list and claim not to be using any CPU, and strace
> shows some sort of loop using select() with a short timeout. So I
> don't suppose you're running SO5? (I get this on 2.0.36.)

No StarOffice. The only CPU-intensive task I know I've been running
when it hits is the rc5-client. It could be that it happens during one
of the nightly cron jobs, news expiration for example, I usually see
it when I check the machine in the morning.

--
Robert Thörncrantz                                 rtz@pirx.df.lth.se
Mundus Vult Decipi                              dat95rth@ludat.lth.se