Re: unkown PCI device

Kris Karas (ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:10:45 -0500

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Leaving it in won't hurt you, and will encourage people to trust Linux.
> Most OS companies keep things that _do_ hurt them, while you want to
> throw out some harmless source code bloat. This makes no sense.

A lack of backward-compatible and consistent interfaces only hurts us,
and where it counts too: the view of linux as a dependable deployment
vehicle (eek, I should be in marketing) instead of a "hackers toy" of some
sort. The time-synchronization folks don't even want to support Linux
anymore, because the published interfaces (to adjtimex in this case) just
change out from under them at a whim. Maybe it's not as bad as they
claim, but regardless, freebsd gets their knod instead.

--
Kristofer Karas                           *      kXtXk@bigfoot.com (delete X's)
AMA/CCS DoD RF900RR HawkGT !car           *    Senior systems engineer/SysAdmin