Spinning down disks [was: IDE freeze for seconds]

Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:07:50 +0000

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 11:57:27PM +0000, Roeland Th. Jansen wrote:
> the best thing is to disable spindown, especially if you like to keep
> your disks a bit longer....

Is this really true? I keep wondering wether spinning them down for
most of the day or keeping them running all day is better for them.
I've never found anything definite either way, just folklore.

I spin them down nowadays, as modern disks are used in notebooks so I
assume the mechanisms are better at coping with stopping and starting.
Also, disks and fans are so noisy.

I wanted to save some money on electricity too. One disk doesn't use
much power compared with, say, an electric light but powering down the
whole box saves lots of money. Though at the last electricity bill I
found APM's "sleep" mode still costs a fortune :-(

Switching the whole box off is very inconvenient because of the lost
state. If someone would be so kind as to implement suspend-to-disk for
my non-notebook PC, that would be very nice thank you :-)

Enjoy,
-- Jamie