Re: Kernel Compilation Project

Ben Collins (bmc@visi.net)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:42:14 -0500

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 08:16:29AM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com> writes:
> > Indeed, one way of making sure of that might be to add some sort
> > of "make randomconfig" option that goes through the options in
> > the same way that "make config" does, but chooses an answer at
> > random out of those available, rather than asking the user for the
> > desired choices. I can see how to do that for options such as
> > "bool", "tristate" or "dep_tristate", but how would such a system
> > deal with "int", "hex" or "choice", or other suchlike options?
> >
> Easy. For "choice" you randomly select one from the list. The others don't
> affect compilation and thus are irrelevant.

How about just asking people to send you their .config's and create a huge
database of which you can randomly choose a configuration to test. This
will assure you get real world configurations as well as the most used
setup's. Plus I'm sure there will be quite a few 'strange-but-true'
configurations which you can test as well. Of course you will have to
update the database almost as frequently as the kernel revs.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org