Re: 2.1.130 and Ati Mach 64

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:51:30 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Ben Castricum wrote:
> >On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Ben Castricum wrote:
> >> At my work I have an Ati Mach 64 so I though I'ld give the kernel driver
> >> try... Unfortunately enabling the driver results in a neat black
> screen...
> >> The dmesg reports
> >> atyfb: mach64VT (ATI264VT) [0x5654 rev 0x48] 2M SDRAM, 200 MHz PLL, 67
> Mhz
> >> MCLK
> >> fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
> >> fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported
> >
> >| CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=m
> >| CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
> >| CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=m
> >| CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=m
> >
> >What about answering `y' to all of these? `m' only makes sense if the frame
> >buffer devices you're using are modules too.
>
> I know it doesn't make sense, but I didn't knew you could make fb a module.

Some drivers support being a module, others (e.g. atyfb) don't (yet).

> Isn't the screen initialized before I can load modules ?

If you have no screen drivers, you'll see nothing until you insmod a frame
buffer device.

> >P.S. If you say `CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=n', you always get sensible options.
>

> Ok.. I changed the config to :
>
> #
> # Console drivers
> #
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

Since you enabled this, you'll get VGA text until the frame buffer device
subsystem is initialized.

> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
> CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
> # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
> # CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
> CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
> CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
> CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
> CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
> # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
> # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
> CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
> CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
>
> Same results...

Still complaints about

fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 8) not supported

?? Did you do `make depend' after changing the config?

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be