Re: plip in 2.1.129?

Michele Bini (mibin@tin.it)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:07:55 +0100

On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 01:21:12PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

> Has anybody got PLIP working in 2.1.129?
>
> I find that while PLIP worked in the 2.1.125 kernel (and I have a
> report that it worked in 2.1.126ac2), it does not in 2.1.129.

Both 2.1.128 and 2.1.130 seem to work fine here.

> The failure is in a kernel compiled UP, with parport compiled in.
> To be precise, "insmod plip" works; "ifconfig plip0 [etc.]" works,
> and netstat reports a route; but ping reports I have no permission
> to use it.
>
> When I try the old ("lurking") plip.c, insmod fails, reporting
> resources busy.

Check that the lp module is nor loaded (or parallel printer support
is compiled into the kernel).

Here is my current configuration:

in /etc/conf.modules I have these lines:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

To start plip I do:
# ifconfig plip0 peerA pointopoint peerB up

To get plip working when it is not a module I pass
these options to the kernel:
parport=0x378,7 plip=parport0

-Michele