Re: 2.1.125 filesystem corruption under extreme load

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:30:57 +0100

>On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Neil Conway wrote:
>
> # > I just found that the 2.1.125 kernel corrupted my ext2 filesystem under
> # > extreme load.
> # > WHat I did:
> # > make -j modules
> #
> # This sounds exactly like what I did under 2.1.108, compiling 2.1.129.
>
>I just tried this on a 2.1.130 SMP ix86 kernel (192MB)
>(http://neko.binary9.net/scripts/sysinfo) and only got some
>
>vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>after my load hit about 55 or so. They'd come in groups of 2 or 3, then
>another gcc launched, then a few more. Other than that, it worked just
>fine.
>
>[dump question] what resource wasn't available? [/dump]

Memory. Probably memory fragmentation, a fork needs a continuous 8K
block (2 pages). You can check by hitting Shift-ScrLock on the console
if there are still 8k or bigger blocks free.

If it is reproducible it is very bad, because that means that the mm
needs more tuning

-Andi