Re: 2.1.x required packages - mount for Samba?

Paul (PELaufer@csupomona.edu)
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:34:51 +0000 (/usr/local/etc/localtime)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Greaves Tristan TM wrote:

> On the machine's console the following message occurs:
>
> SMBFS: need mount version 6.
>
> I have upgraded mount as per the instructions on linuxhq.
>
> [root@harmony /root]# mount -V
> mount: mount-2.7l
>
> Of course, this doesn't appear to be version 6. So, what's the problem
> here? Are the linuxhq.com details up to date?
>
> If not, where is a good place to get the required version of mount?
>
> Tris.

You need to remcompile the Samba mount utils with a 2.1 kernel to get them
to work on a 2.1 kernel. Source for SMB mount utils that are designed to
work with 2.1 kernels are distributed with the Samba source, but you may
need to patch them in order to get them to work properly on glibc based
systems (RH >= 5 for example). I have made such patches available for
several versions of Samba at http://www.netcom.com/~mlaufer/samba/

Interestingly if linux moves to support 32 bit UIDs then Samba as
distributed will work properly on Glibc2 systems and break on libc5
systems.

Paul Laufer

--
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,