Re: Can't get DMA buffers for soundcard in 2.1.129

Brian Ristuccia (brianr@osiris.ml.org)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:00:18 -0500

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 10:48:37PM +0000, Alex Butcher wrote:

> insmod sound.o during rc.sysinit (assuming you're using SysVinit), so that
> the ISA DMA memory that sound needs (first 16MB of memory) is free for it
> to allocate and lock.

That's where it gets loaded (it's actually in /etc/modules on a debian
system)

> By the time you've left the machine up for 17 hours, all of the first 16MB
> of physical memory has been allocated.

Yes. That's why the cs4236 driver should hold onto this memory forever after
I insmod it, not put it back every time I'm done playing sound.

> The floppy driver is another candidate for such treatment.

If I used it =)

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.ml.org