Re: High UID support for Linux

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:27:11 +0000

H. Peter Anvin writes ("Re: High UID support for Linux"):
> Followup to: <E0zioU5-0000tA-00@taurus.cus.cam.ac.uk>
> By author: pjb1008@cam.ac.uk (Peter Benie)
> [snip - hack to get getpwuid(getuid()) to work.
>
> I don't think this is beneficial. Any uid/gid-aware program is going
> to have to deal. There just isn't a way around it. Fortunately not
> too many programs really care about uid/gid's.

I strongly disagree. _Lots_ of programs care about _your_ home
directory so they can look for configuration files and don't use uids
for anything else. I see no point in breaking such programs if there
is a workaround - that will just reinforce the idea that you can't
write a program for Linux that will work for more than a few months.

Peter