Re: IP Alias

Alexander Chernov (cher@orion.rea.ru)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:22:43 +0300 (EET)

'Linux Kernel' <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>,
'Alan Cox' <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Subject: IP Alias
>

> Hi Juan,
> I have few doughts in IP Alias.
> 1) How route table will be effected. I mean is there any changes required
> for RIP...?
> For e.g, If I assign an IP address belonging to some other subnet, will
> routing loops may occur...?
>
> 2) How ARP will respond to these (eth0:1, etc) new interfaces which have
> been assignd IP address of some other subnet. There may be replys from
> more than one host, and so increase in control traffic.
>
> 3) If I were to advertise these(IP Aliased) static routes(esp. those IP
> addresses which belong to some other subnet virtually), in my RIP
> reports, is there a possibility of routing loops.
>
> 4) How does the source routing and Record Routing behave in this case..I
> mean will there be any kind of overhead..?
>
> 5) Is there any RFC or IP MIB regarding IP Aliasing stuff, I want more
> theory before I start off.. any pointers for implimentors..?
>
> 6) Is there any IP Alias specific Discussion Group..?
>
> 7) Cisco impliments something like Sub-interfaces and ip secondary
> address, are they similar to IP Aliasing.
>
> Mean while I would like to know more applicability of IP Aliasing apart
> from a virtual web hosting, etc. I would be more interested in vLAN
> fundas...
>
> Thanks for ur time and congrats for a wonderful work..
>
> Regards
> Vishwanath S. Edavayyanamath

And more questions from me:

8) Why ifconfig does not show aliases of an interface in 2.1.*
(in 2.0 it does show)? But I can still add them and use them...

9) Is it possible to establish a connection from an alias IP?
Say, if I have eth0 with address 1.2.3.4 and alias eth0:0 with address
1.2.3.5, how can I connect to a host acme.com from IP address 1.2.3.5,
not from 1.2.3.4.

Regards,
Alexander