Re: NCP without IPX?

Lauri Tischler (lauri.tischler@efore.fi)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:35:55 +0200

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> i.e. one can have no IPX support and still enable NCP only because INET
> support is always there (unless one is feeling too adventurous). I thought
> that NCP runs over IPX so this must be a bug and should be reverted to:

Not necessarily, Netware 5 can run in pure IP-mode, so apparently NCP
coreprotocol can run in IP-mode too.
Novell is phasing IPX out, in the long run, actually recommending IP-only
for new sites, if connectivity to existing IPX-nets is required they have a
IP-IPX gateway product. They will propably need to support IPX
indefinately. Userbase is _huge_ and there is _lot_ of hardwarestuff around
which support only IPX.
Does Linux NCP run over IP is the real question, I think.
Cheers..