Re: VIOLENT 2.1.129 serial bug on Alpha.

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:53:25 -0500

Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:56:25 +0100 (MET)
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>

> The change I submitted was the simplest set of changes which fix the
> problem, without completely revamping how the module in-use counter
> works for the serial driver.

You're probably right, though I still believe adding MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT
after:

if (!info || serial_paranoia_check(info, tty->device, "rs_close"))

and removing all MOD_DEC_USE_COUNTs from rs_open would result in a
somewhat cleaner code.

Yes, but there's also the hangup code path which also needs to be
checked carefully. I decided it was too much effort; post 2.2 I really
want to revamp how hangup is handled anyway.

- Ted