Re: Bundling fast ethernets together..

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:45:56 -0800

Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Thomas Davis wrote:
>
> > Has anyone does this?
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/729/fec/faste_an.htm
> >
> > I know about bundling several 10 megabits together; I have an
> > application that can use all of the bandwidth it can get (several NFS
> > servers)
>
> This doesn't look to be significantly different from the Beowulf people's
> "Channel bonding" which, I believe can bond any (pair of?) (homogeneous?)
> Linux network devices.

And, after getting the network guys to configure the Cisco 5500, put
another tulip based ethernet card in a machine (two cards now), getting
and compiling ifenslave, realizing that redhat 5.1 ifup gets it the
slave order wrong (they do slave/master, and it's master/slave)

The results are:

Missing kernel software!

you can setup a recieve only bundle doing this, but you can't send
anything down the spare channels.

Darn.

Time to work on the beowulf channel bundling for 2.1.129.. (it doesn't
patch in at all..)