Re: 2.1.129 scheduling problem?

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:16:50 -0600 (EST)

And lo, Sang Woo Kang saith unto me:

> There are a few things I found strange... First of all, my environment
> is Slackware 3.5 (libc-5.4.46, egcs-1.0.3a, all standard stuffs comes with
> the dist.). Kernels are all UP and monolithic.
>
> Problem 1:
> pRoblem with dpms and Kernel 2.0.36 & earlier : When the monitor goes into
> doze mode, it never wakes up... reminds me of sleeping beauty. The only
> solution is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del. The system is rock solid if I disable
> dpms. I don't want to blame my M/B there was no problem such as this with
> 2.0.32. Could it be a problem with X11? I don't have a clue....
I see this with my Millenium II AGP...but switching to another VC (with
control-alt-F4, for example) gets that text-mode VC back up. I don't
remember if this is useful in resurrecting the X screen, though. :-(
The solution, however, is to just tell X to blank the screen, and let
your monitor put itself into and take itself out of doze or sleep.

> Problem 2:
> With linux-2.1.128 & 129, when I try to execute any program at a random point,
> the system almost become dead. Here's a chronological sequence of events:
I can get it to happen with 2.1.129 just with the stuff in my .Xclients
file (several xterms, xphoon, fvwm2, fvwm2's button bar with an xclock,
an xload, an xbiff, and a remote xload...). I can switch to and from
X, but not log in...I don't think the gettys on the VCs even pass me
off to /bin/login...

> Can someone bother to explain what this really mean?
I figure it's the "UP flu". I think someone claimed to have a fix in
one of the "pre-patch" series recently, but I don't remember which it
was or where to get it, so hit up your local linux-kernel mailing list
archive. Or wait for 2.1.130.

Keith (release often -> give the penguin lots of fluids!)

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to   |KDE:   http://www.kde.org         | zoot