Re: 2.1.129 Scheduling Issue?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:19:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Tom Eastep wrote:
> Michael K Vance wrote:
>
> > however. Eventually I was able to get 'top' running, and saw that two
> > instances of 'bash' were taking up 46% and 44% or so of the CPU. I killed
> > both, but then 'init' simply took over 98% or so of the CPU. Killing my window
> > manager (?) seemed to fix all of this.
> >
> > Info:
> >
> > 2.1.129 clean with SMP commented out
>
> This is a know problem with recent development kernels. Either
> uncomment 'SMP = 1' in your Makefile or get the patch that Linus
> posted the other day.

Maybe it's nice to know for Michael that the problem isn't
with the scheduling code (as he assumed) but with the fork()
and syscall() code, which resulted in schedule() getting
rubbish as input and following the GIGO principle...

let this be your first official kernel hacking lesson :)

cheers,

Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...