Re: The history of the Linux OS

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:18:23 -0000 (GMT)

On 23-Nov-98 Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> i have 1.1.1
>> i put it in rcs
>> THEN i get 1.1.47
>> so i put that in rcs
>> NOW i get 1.1.x where 1 < x < 47
>>
>> how do i insert that inbetween 1.1.1 and 1.1.47?
>
> That's exactly the way you do _not_ want to do it. CVS doesn't care about the
> internal RCS version numbers. Yes, I made the same mistake some time ago.
> If a file isn't changed in between Linux release 2.1.128 and 2.1.129, it will
> have the same (internal) RCS version number in both releases.
>
> CVS uses symbolic names (tags) to link the various RCS version numbers with a
> global release name.

then i can see no good reason to stick it in cvs
if i cannot use it to track the changes to a particular FILE as the kernel moved
from version to version (and to be able to ask questions like what changed in mm.c
from 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 for example) what is the point of storing anything under cvs

somebody else has explained to me what i have to do to do the "out of order"
insertions into rcs - it is not a pretty sight :-(

--
simon