Re: Slow tar ? (2.1.129pre1 and pre4)

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:02:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Michael Nelson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 04:59:38PM -0500, Michael K Vance wrote:
> -> Mark Orr wrote:
> ->
> -> > I compiled up (from .126) to 2.1.129pre1 (and later pre4) today.
> -> > I noticed that for some reason, tar was working very very slowly.
> ->
> -> Ditto on 2.1.12{6-8} for me. gunzip runs fine, so does bunzip2, but tar will
> -> just sit there for minutes on end, consumign little or no CPU. Mind you, it
> -> doesn't just un-tar everything and sit there--it actually seems to spread its
> -> job out over the eons.
>
> I'm seeing the same thing. The wierd thing is that if I boot into single
> user mode it untars the same files lightning fast.

Do either of you run NIS (aka yp)? Traditionally, this problem has its
roots in tar attempting an NIS lookup on the user and group ids of the
extracted files. In single-user mode, the networking is not up and it
won't occur.

FWIW, I do run NIS here and am not seeing the problem - although there
has been some general wierdness with RPC services over the past few
kernels.

Just food for thought.

Steve