Re: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Everyone knows that big endian byte ordering is sane for a /proc interface,
> because /proc is designed to be an interface to humans. Besides, we're
> taught in big endian format as programmers.

No, we really want to use dot-format for internet addresses, and decimal
numbers for port numbers etc. /proc should really be the format humans
use: whenever you even have a _question_ of what the number means, it's
wrong.

So both "7f000001:0400" and "0100007f:0004" are wrong, "127.0.0.1:1024"
is right.

Yes, its a bit harder to parse for computers, but hey, that's what
computers are good at.

> Time formats:
>
> It seems to me that expressing the time constants in /proc would be
> as simple as:
>
> <seconds>.<microseconds>

Yes. Some of the stuff already does this (not microseconds, but look at
"uptime" for example.

Linus