Re: MM with fragmented memory

Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:35:34 +0100

>Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
>> I'm working with uClinux, which fits quite well in less then 512kB of ROM,
>
>Hmm, that's text+data+bss of a recent 2.1 kernel ? Interesting ... I've

BSS doesn't have to go in the ROM of course, but...

>Seems that your 68k code is much more dense than my ARM code.

It does seem to be the case that ARM kernels are comparatively huge. I wanted
to put a kernel in a 4MBit ROM fairly recently and it was quite a struggle to
make it fit. I've never looked into the reason why.

>> How often are virt_to_phys and phys_to_virt invoked? Offhand, I can't see
>> why these (or virt vs. bus) should be invoked very often. (I could easily
>> be wrong.)
>
>I'm not sure about the relative costs, but considering that they show up
>at quite a few places in frequently-travelled code, they may be critical.
>I guess I should add a counter once I get this to work :)

Any driver that uses busmastering will want to use virt_to_bus (which is
basically a special case of virt_to_phys).

p.