Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:53:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Gee. Someday I will get a 5000-MHz CPU running the scheduler at 100 HZ.
> My 30 Gb/s fiber optic serial ports will work great, eh? Pardon me
> while I puke.

You obviously didn't understand a single word I was writing in my previous
email.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you, if you cannot understand
simple English.

The point is that we can EASILY change the timer tick to happen 10000
times a second if you so wish.

The frequency of the internal kernel timer has _nothing_ to do with HZ as
seen by user programs. They happen to be the same right now, because that
is simple.

I'm telling you that HZ is a constant for user land, but not for the
kernel. Is that really so hard to understand?

Don't bother sending me any more email on the subject. You're just
convincing me that you don't understand the issue.

Linus