Re: 9G disk, >4 partitions, and lose95

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:30:49 -0500 (CDT)

And lo, Stephen Lee saith unto me:

> At 18:19 98/10/19 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >I, with many years of Linux and DOS experience, and several installs of
> >Lose95 under my belt, went to install Linux AND lose95 on my new 9G Viking
> >II hard disk.
>
> I have a similar experience. OSR2 cannot access >8G with partition type
> 0x5, and what's worse, it doesn't really work with type 0xf either! I
> think it was trying to access >1024 cyl and actually wrapped around, so if
> I make a 9G FAT32 partition the partition table would get corrupted after
> some time. I reformatted and re-set up several times before giving up and
> used type 0x5. Now I have all these space at the end of the HD that Win95
> can't access (but Linux and NT can, I'll probably use it for that).
lose95 OSR2+USB definitely disrespected the size of a ~2G partition that
probably spanned the 1024 cylinder boundary and was written with a post-
LBA but not-latest fdisk. Something about a 8700 meg disk having 10,000
someodd megs according to summing the partition sizes just didn't look
right. :-)

> I am not sure if this is a BIOS or HD firmware or Win95 bug, and the disk
> is not under heavy use so I don't know if there is any remaining problem.
I can't imagine how it could be BIOS or firmware; it would be lose95 or
the SCSI adapter's lose95 driver which would have to make that mistake.
SCSI devices have been using what IDE re-invented as LBA since day one,
many many years ago when 10 Mbps ethernet was ungodly fast and SCSI was
3-5 times faster...

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,