Re: Memory mystery..

Jos van de Ven (josvdv@josvdv.sci.kun.nl)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:27:28 +0200 (CEST)

Alex wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Jos van de Ven wrote:
>
> > But when trying to run 'bmv' (a slightly improved version by myself, because
> > the original was FAR too slow), I got exactly the same 'Memory exhausted'.
>
> Have you checked that in fact it does activate the swap file? See if
> the command /sbin/swapon is being run successfully.

I checked it (now). It is indeed not being run successfully. But even
without swap the problem occurs even if there IS enough memory available.
So there is a problem with my swap. True. But even with that problem I
don't think the kernel should report 'Memory exhausted' if it is not the case.
So it could be that the kernel reports this error only if something is wrong
with the swap (no swap or non-functional swap)?

I have been thinking of something else: I am using libc5, and maybe there
could be a problem? I'll have to install a compiler for glibc2 and try...

Greetings,
Jos