Re: Domain cloning [was: Linux loop device driver bug]

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:29:25 +0200

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 02:46:52AM +0200, Hans Lermen wrote:

> Oh, didn't notice we changed the kernel home site:
>
> Domain Name: KERNELI.ORG
>
> Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
> Kjeldaas, Alexander (AK3556) astor@GUARDIAN.NO
> +47 73 51 70 02 (FAX) +47 73 52 79 90
>
> Anyway, it's legal as everybody paying $50 per year to InterNIC can have
> its own domain. Its also legal to mirror the kernel and to provide
> alternative patches. However, tricking out people by putting on
> the 'official hat' isn't fair IMHO. Look at the _real_ official URL
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1/patch-2.1.125.gz
>
> and compare it with the above faked one. ... and you know what I mean.
>
> BTW: Last time I noticed such playing with well known domain names was
> 'xfree86.org' versus 'xfree.com' (though with different intention;-).

Huh? The idea is to mimic sites like pgp.com (PGP) -> pgpi.com
(International PGP). I think adding an 'i' to the name of a project
is an accepted way of getting to the international (crypto) version of
a program. Kerneli is not a misspelling of kernel - nobody will write
kerneli by mistake.

However, it is very intentional that ftp.kerneli.org looks like
ftp.kernel.org. It is my hope that people go to ftp.kerneli.org and
fetch both linux-2.1.125.tar.gz and patch-int-2.1.125.2.gz when they
build a kernel. It's only one small extra step. I'm trying to make
it as easy as possible for people to use crypto in the kernel.

If you're afraid that the kernels on ftp.kerneli.org are fake, that
should be handled another way - signing the distribution files.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/