Re: Motherboard design specifically for Linux

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:33:42 +0100 (BST)

On 21-Oct-98 Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> The serial (and/or floppy) loading mechanism was intended, in this thread, to
> allow fix a badly flashed rom, as a last resort when nothing else helps.

in my case "the last resort" would involve taking the machine apart and adding
a floppy drive *or* connecting another machine running some special software
which would download the kernel with some special protocol.

that means that the solution is not *self contained*
i broken pc would not have the h/w and/or s/w to repair a broken rom
supermicro motherboards (and i'm certainly not advocating them) have a system
whereby if you hold down some key (i forget which) when you turn on the machine
and there is a floppy in the drive - the boot code will load a new rom image
from the floppy. absolutely minimal!

--
simon