Re: [Fwd: LIBC5 vs LIBC6. One first works, the second SEGFAULTS]

Andreas Jaeger (aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de)
21 Oct 1998 21:23:36 +0200

> I didn't receive any suggestions from the LINUX-ADMIN list, perhaps this
> would be a better location for the problem below:
It might be that nobody answered since you didn't read the FAQ at all.

> I recently upgrading my libc to libc.so.5.4.46 and glib to 2.0.6, ld to
> 1.9.9, and gcc to 2.8.1 on my SW 3.4 with a 2.0.35 Kernel. I'm trying
> to remake an app I have in development and I'm having problems since the
> previously mentioned upgrade.
>
> I've boiled it down to this, the following code segement with built
> against libc5 works, when built against libc6, boom! The details
> follow...

Please read the glibc FAQ that comes with glibc 2.0.6. It contains
the following question which answers your problem:
2.6. When I use GNU libc on my Linux system by linking against
the libc.so which comes with glibc all I get is a core dump.

Another source of information is the glibc2 howto
<http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc> which explains in detail how to
use glibc2 as a secondary libc.

Andreas

--