Re: Memory Mystery..

Noah Beck (noah@ecn.purdue.edu)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:55:40 -0500

I experienced this exact problem with 2.1.106 on a stock RedHat 5.1
installation. I figured it was a utility (who) error, and didn't get
around to fixing it because the system had yet to even touch swap.
However, when I found that some hacker was going around the university
looking for security exploits, I added all the updates for 5.1. At
the time I did the updates, 'who' was crashing. Immediately after the
updates, 'who' worked again, and has worked for me since (now on 2.1.125).

So, my conclusion was "user-space error."

Noah